Hooks are used in towing, mooring and lifting systems as a connection between slings, rope, wire rope and chain. ROV type hooks are modified for easy ROV handling during hook up or release.
Eye hooks HK2 are generally used for lifting systems. The HK2 modified ROV type can be used subsea. Slip or pelican HK3 and HK4 hooks are generally used for towing systems as a quick release application. ROV shank hooks HK5 are specially designed for subsea use by ROV's. Due the shape and size of the shank the ROV has a perfect on the hook. Anchor line hooks HK6 are designed for release of anchor lines. Soft sling hooks HK14 are specially designed with an enlarged radius to protect the soft sling for bending damage, which improves the durability of the softsling. KS-hooks HK12 are used in mooring lines.
instructions for use
The hook must always support the load. The load must never be supported by the latch. Never use a hook whose throat opening has been increased or whose tip has been bent more than 10° out of the plane from the hook body or is in any other way distorted or bent. The latch will not work properly on a hook with a bent or worn tip. Never repair, alter rework or reshape a hook by welding, heating, burning or bending. When placing 2 sling legs in a hook, make sure that the angle between the legs does not exceed 90°.
Inspection should take place at least every six months and even more frequently when the hooks are used in severe operating conditions.
Hooks should be inspected before use:
- Always inspect hook (and latch) before using
- Never use a hook whose throat opening has
- been increased or whose tip has been bent more than 10° out of the plane from the hook
- body or is in any other way distorted or bent
- Never use a latch that is distorted or bent
- Always make sure spring will force the latch against the tip of the hook
- Hooks may not be heat treated as this may affect their Working Load Limit
- Never modify, repair or reshape a hook by machining, welding, heating or bending as this may affect the
- Working Load Limit
As minimum the following markings must be hard stamped in the shackle.
- Applicable Working load or Proof load
- Brand mark
- Production number